9.05.2008

Our Hot Tamale




Dear Daniel,

It's funny... when I think back and remember, I remember things about you like bionacles, or swimming in the backyard, super smash brothers, and sour candy. But those are just 12 year old boy things. I like to think how much you've learned and grown. How you might still look like a 12 year old, but you are the best darned missionary out there :) Weird that you were 12... that Annie isn't 12 anymore and that she's so much older, even for Annie. SO many things to talk to you about, questions to ask you that you know the answers to now. Did you get to fly aroung the world and see all the beauties of the Earth? Did you get to learn where the dinosaurs went and how they died? K, I know those things don't really matter, not in the big picture of life.

I miss watching your hilarious impersonations of people, feeling sad when we found a cartoon family tree in your room that you made where we are all birds in a tree. Laughing that Julia is falling out of the tree because Dad shot her with a shotgun, loving crazy Grandma Jones bird that has stars around her head with all her scrambled brain cells :) Missing you.

And each year we'll get older and memories will fade. But its good to know that you aren't alone. That you are probably really busy, and peek in on us every now and then... maybe cheering with the rest of the team as Ann finishes the race at her first swim meet, or sitting around the table with us on Sunday afternoons at Mom's house. I wish you could sit at the fun table with my girls. That they would tease you and slug kiss you like they do Bubs.

But, I guess thats what life is about. We don't get to always choose our life experiences. Maybe thats a good thing, because then we wouldn't choose the hard ones that help us to grow so much :) Seriously we could really use a little brother to wrestle with, to tease and harass Dad with. So, maybe check in on us at dinner tonight, and realize we miss you and think about you often. And know that no one will ever fill the hole you left in our hearts.

Love,
Amanda

ps... Sorry its not enough pictures, I need to go through all my pictures :)

10 comments:

•stephanie• said...

what a sweet tribute.

i love that you can look at this difficult situation with such an eternal perspective.

you're a great sister.

granny said...

Tears. More tears. Thanks for sharing your tender thoughts.

Leah Martineau said...

What a cute boy, or should I say handsome!! What sweet memories. I'm so glad you did that post, I didn't even know him but it still touched my heart.

Jenny Hogle said...

Amanda this was a great great post. Daniel was/is such an amazing boy and example to me. Havasupai was so much fun with your family. Julia, Daniel, Tanner and I played teams the whole time.

Russel and Marcie Sipes said...

Thanks alot for making me cry my eyes out. You and your family are so amazing. You are so strong, and I don't even know your family but you are all a great example to me. Thank-you for sharing your memories with me. I would love to have met Daniel and your mom--I bet they are great--just like you:) Sniff, sniff.

HooHoo said...

What a joyful religion that gives us hope, strength, and deliverance. This is a beautiful tribute in words and pictures. Thanks Amanda, for sweet thoughts and memories today.

Candice said...

So sweet. I am continually amazed at the grace and strength with which you handle your mom's and Daniel's passing. I know you miss them terribly, but I love how you say so matter-of-factly- "Its OK! We know where they are and we will see them again." I can't help but love your family; the ones I've met and those I haven't.

corri said...

amazing! is all that comes to mind when i think of your family. your family has gone through such hard times and have grown so amazingly strong, and loving. i think you guys are a wonderful example of what an eternal family should be like. i love you!
p.s. we are still enjoying your delicious cake

Grandma Sue said...

Thanks for sharing - you girls are great!! But you come from a great family. I want you to know I think of you often.

Aunt Sue

Melissa said...

That was very sweet. I am sure he is checking up on his big sis and little nieces all the time... and very I am sure he is very proud of the mother that you are.